[Mailman-Developers] Pycon 2012 and Mailman 3 plans

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Mar 5 20:23:04 CET 2012

With Pycon 2012 coming up in the next few days, and most of the core Mailman
developers attending the sprints[1], we have a opportunity to reach some
important milestones with Mailman 3.

You are of course invited to join us.  Please sign up on the project page
below so we can make the appropriate plans.

Don't forget to come to my talk on Saturday at 4:55pm local time[2].

We'll have two main goals for the sprint, and possibly a third:

 - Do a face-to-face integration of the web ui for MM3, identifying any
   concerns or missing functionality in the API, reviewing the ui design,
   fix related bugs, etc.
 - Solidify the core engine so that I can release beta 1.
 - Possibly, make progress on the next-gen archiver.

Yes, you read that right.  At long last, I believe the core engine is solid
enough to move into beta.  This means we'll freeze the database schema and use
the migration mechanism for any future updates, and we'll also feature freeze
so we can concentrate on bug fixing[3].  So beta 1 is planned for during or
just after the sprints.

Finally, I have put up a test server, which you are invited to join and use.
Right now, you only have access to the email command interface, meaning you
must join and leave the mailing list via email commands and confirmations.
Once joined, you can of course post to the list.

Note that this list is running on a virtual machine, so it, the domain, or the
Mailman service can disappear at any time.  Occasionally, I'll stop the
system, run it in debug mode (meaning your posts will not go to the list),
update the software, etc.  If something looks weird, please try again, or
email me, or file a bug on Launchpad[4].  Please include the original email or
at least the Message-Id of the message you sent that caused the problem.

I will be watching the logs when I can.  Be good citizens and reasonable
users.  Abuse will not be tolerated and will get you banned at the MTA.

  - Subscribe by sending a message to playground-join at groon.org
  - Get help by sending a message to playground-request at groon.org with the
    word 'help' (sans quotes) in the Subject
  - Post to the list at playground at groon.org

Enjoy, and I hope to see you at Pycon.

Cheers,
-Barry

[1] https://us.pycon.org/2012/community/sprints/projects/
[2] I guess I should write it, eh? <wink>
    https://us.pycon.org/2012/schedule/
[3] Of course, I get to decide what's a bug and what's a missing feature :)
[4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug
    Please tag the bug with 'mailman3'