[Mailman-Developers] Trying to install mm 3.0.0b1

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Thu Jun 21 19:00:21 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 12:20 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Note too
> that these control global system-wide configurations, so if there's any reason
> why you'd want to have different keys for different mailing lists, it can't go
> there (but I don't see why that would be so I won't describe the alternative).

I gave this some thought and decided that since any automated expunging
of subscribers probably should be done at a system level (although
theoretically a list admin could script an an automated mail command
exchange system, or automate an interaction with a web UI), that a
global key would be fine.  Perhaps the feature could be turned on or off
in individual lists.

> Also, of course the key will live in plain text in the deployed mailman.cfg
> file, but it sounds like that's not a problem.

This isn't for *real* security, just to provide an encryption envelope
for information so as to reversibly obfuscate it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |