[Mailman-Developers] Trying to install mm 3.0.0b1

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Thu Jun 21 18:02:04 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 11:43 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>>I have some patches and files to this end, Which I've applied
> >successfully to Mailman 2.1.15 and the suggestion was made on the Users
> >list that I submit them for possible application to mm 3, which would
> >probably be a more appropriate place for this feature.
>
> Agreed.  I think *something* like this would be useful for mm3.  I'm not sure
> about the best way to do it, i.e. whether it should be a generally available
> feature enabled by some config, or whether it should be implemented as a
> plugin.  We could certainly discuss all that here.

The way I switched it on in 2.1.15 was by way of configuration variable
in mm_cfg.py containing a global AES secret key.  This can be added to
mm_cfg.py by running a key generation script in the runtime mm bin
directory.  Absent this variable, the feature is moot since all relevant
code gets bypassed.

> >To do this I need to set up a test installation of mm 3 which actually
> >works, and delivers mail to a test list.  I don't need to deploy it for
> >general use.
>
> To make something like this a supported feature does require more work,
> e.g. probably a schema change, plumbing through REST, documentation and a test
> suite.  A Launchpad bug and merge proposal will be ideal.  But don't let that
> discourage you.  If you can come up with a nice proof-of-concept once of us
> can help shepherd you through the rest of the process.

Great!!  Something to do with all my FREE TIME <LOL>.  I'll probably
work on it since I can't seem to leave projects like this alone.

One caveat/issue with the work I've done so far is that it requires the
python-crypto module.  This is no problem on Linux, possibly not on
other Unix-like OSes, but from what I've read, the module has
longstanding issues on a Windows platform.  This might be a
show-stopper.

Thanks for the coaching on setting up virtualenv!

--
Lindsay Haisley       |"Friends are like potatoes.
FMP Computer Services |    If you eat them, they die"