[Mailman-Developers] Speaking about kitties (or archivers)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 7 01:30:13 CEST 2012

On Jun 05, 2012, at 08:09 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

>With the help of wacky on #mailman this week-end we came up with this
>"patch".  Attached is both the diff and the file itself.
>
>This way we can start discussing :)

Point of order: it's much easier to deal with branches and merge proposals
(even for works-in-progress) than it is patches in a mailing list thread. :)

In any case, a few comments.

Why do we need both generic versions of add/delete/get and list-centric
versions of those methods?  When a message comes into the system, how would we
know which to call, or do we call them both?

If we decide to keep just the list-centric versions, then it's probably better
to take an IMailingList object as the first parameter, and use that to get the
fqdn_listname if necessary.

Another way of handling search might be to accept keyword arguments, e.g.

    def search(mlist, **kws)

then the keys of kws could be headers, with values being the search term
you're looking for.  You could define something like _body as the key for
searching the body (the entire plain text? one of the attachments?).

If we don't need the list-centric versions, using __len__() would be better
than get_list_size().

Cheers,