[Mailman-Developers] [HyperKitty] Rating of posts

Aamir Khan syst3m.w0rm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 06:43:00 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am working on HyperKitty archiver project. I am working on feature which
will allow the logged-in archiver users to rate emails by
upvoting/downvoting.

Broadly speaking, there are two kind of emails posted on mailing lists:

1. *Announcement :* Reply is not generally required.

2. *Questions :* Most of the emails posted on mailing are some sort of
questions. We want our users to upvote the reply (email) which answered the
question accurately. It will be easier for other users of archiver to
easily find the best answer (by sorting answers by number of upvotes) of
the question without going through all the replies posted on same thread.

Rating will be done at email level which means each email can be rated. I
think there is no point of having a thread level rating since you can't
really compare two different questions. Your thoughts? It's pretty much
similar to Q/A site www.quora.com.

*Database Schema: *Table structure is very straightforward and simple.

Table name : ratings

table structure
emailid int| userid int| value (+1/-1)

where,
emailid - references to unique entry storing the actual emails.
userid - references to unique entry in user table.
value - +1 for upvote and -1 for downvote.

In this case each upvote/downvote will be saved as a separate row in
database. Your suggestions?

--
Aamir Khan | 3rd Year  | Computer Science & Engineering | IIT Roorkee