[Mailman-Developers] Speaking about kitties (or archivers)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Jun 3 19:24:55 CEST 2012

On Jun 02, 2012, at 07:19 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

>Maildir is robust but it doesn't scale under high load. You can add indexes,
>but they are limited sooner or later too.
>
>Concerning mailbox formats Timo Sirainens current approach to collect a
>limited number of messages in one file and then start a new one combines the
>best of both worlds - mbox and maildir - in mdbox
><http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox>.
>
>Con
>It takes an index to know in which files a message is located.
>
>Pro
>A magnitude faster to backup, which I would keep an eye on because mailing
>list archives tend to be large and backing up a directory of small files is a
>well known performance killer.
>
>I can get you in contact with Timo if you like to.

I've chatted with him a few times (I'm a Dovecot user and fan).

Would someone like to take a crack at implementing this format either in, or
on top of, the Python stdlib mailbox module:

http://docs.python.org/library/mailbox.html

I'd much rather use something standard (and maintained by someone else!) than
a bunch of custom code specific to Mailman.

Cheers,
-Barry