[Mailman-Developers] Exposing not advertised lists via nntp archiver

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jul 15 08:04:40 CEST 2012

Joshua Cranmer writes:

 > > How to solve that? The only possibility I could think of uses the
 > > filter mechanism of the available newsgroups. The clients could supply
 > > a regexp like filter. I would implement a mechanism, that shows
 > > unadvertized lists with an archive only if the supplied filter is

-> unadvertized public lists

 > > equal to the newsgroup name. Any other idea?

I think that's the closest match to the current behavior of Pipermail
archives.  But that is implementation-specific.  Is that desirable
behavior?  I think it would be a good idea to discuss the
specification with the HyperKitty folks, and on the Mailman Users list
as well.

 > You could enable the newsgroups only if a user has authenticated.

That doesn't correspond well to Pipermail behavior (where users
authenticate to a specific private list), and therefore would be
surprising.  That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that I think this
is one case where we should at least discuss it with a broad group of
users and admins, and not just developers.

Steve