[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 13 05:03:53 CEST 2012

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > The question is whether we want to support running the core without
 > having this user service available, i.e. in standalone mode.  Are
 > we going to require that this service be running in order to run
 > the core?  I think we shouldn't be so strict.

But *some* user service needs to be available.  This is to my mind a
core component of Mailman in any case.  I don't see why having a
single interface (with perhaps a REST "binding" for IPC and a direct
zope.interfaces binding for within-process use) and a default
implementation of that service as a core component (but separate from
the post routing and delivery and admin routing and handling services)
would be very costly in implementation and maintenance, but it ensures
the flexibility to deal with unknown future requirements everybody
says is important.