[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 13 04:57:21 CEST 2012

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I don't see any reason why it couldn't be mapped to a REST API; it's just a
 > lack of need, and nobody's written it yet.  The question is whether
 > IUserManager is actually the right API for a REST interface - in general I
 > don't think you need a 1-to-1 mapping of internal model or APIs to REST.

My suspicion is that in particular (ie, when addressing a specific set
of requirements) you don't need a 1-1 map of internal APIs to REST.
But if you want World Domination (and you have expressed that ambition
on occasion), you need a system that grows new complex functionality
organically.  That, I think, means that we want various parts of the
system to cooperatively build a single database that is offered to all
components.

If you want to say, OK, I'm not really serious about that, that's fine
by me: we *need* a killer MLM, and Mailman 2 isn't it (any more).  But
if you want to try for World Domination, I think the database (ie, the
"social network engine") is the one component that's going to make or
break that enterprise.

 > We've just planned ahead and made the relationship between members
 > and the mailing lists based on the fqdn_listname of the mailing
 > list[*].

This should be the List-Id.  RFC 2919 essentially says that the
mapping of "mailing lists" (whatever *they* "really" are) to List-Ids
is 1-1 by definition.  I think that in practice this is probably going
to work well, in the sense that people who thoughtlessly initialize a
new List-Id when they migrate domains probably don't think (much)
about the fact that it's a new list, while people who take the care to
keep the same List-Id surely do care about the list's identity.

 > zope.interfaces, just that we have to be able to implement the
 > methods and properties defined in these interfaces using REST
 > calls.
 >
 > Probably a good start would be:
 >
 >  * IAddress
 >  * IMember
 >  * IRegistrar
 >  * IRoster
 >  * ISubscriptionService
 >  * IUser
 >  * IUserManager

This list kind of worries me -- it's very specific and fragmented.  Is
there a higher-level way of doing this mapping?

 > [**] Hey Florian, continuing on a theme, maybe "Vicious".  Get it? :)

I see ....