[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jul 12 04:53:55 CEST 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 09:27 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>First, we should define all of the data storage in terms of the REST access
>points to the data. (And not, as presently done, the other way around) Next,
>we should access all of the REST interface URLs indirectly so that
>functionality can be moved around simply by changing a single reference
>definition.  This is the kind of scheme that django uses with its {% url %}
>tag. (like DNS vs IP addresses) Finally, we should "black box encapsulate"
>the access to the data, requiring that EVERY module utilize this common
>interface, and only this interface, to the data.

If there were a separate user database that exposed all sorts of data via
REST, including stuff the core doesn't care about, then all the things I
described before about re-implementing various Zope interfaces in the core
holds true.  They would just do REST calls instead of database queries.

Both implementations in fact can live side-by-side, and choosing one or the
other is something you do when you install and configure the system.