[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jul 11 19:50:40 CEST 2012

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

 > Pretty soon, you will find that what you need approaches something
 > that already exists -- a relational database.  Rather than
 > "reinventing the wheel", we should just use an already existing
 > database system and make all of the data directly accessible.

We're already doing that, with ORMs overlying the RDBMS.

 > Since only a minimum of information is essential to the core job,
 > it may well be more appropriate for it to get that information from
 > another source as needed.

True, but we've already agreed that the user information should be
kept in one place, based on your experience.

 > Applying your previous argument, I could equally say "since the web
 > user needs to be authenticated, we may as well keep all such
 > information in the webUI's database"

It's not the same argument.  A mailing list needs a message
distribution agent; it doesn't *need* a webUI.

There may be implementation reasons why it's better to handle database
requirements in the webUI or a new daemon, but nobody's given any yet.