[Mailman-Developers] GSoC midterm evaluations start Monday July 9th!

Alexander Sulfrian alexander at sulfrian.net
Tue Jul 10 20:37:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

sorry for delaying my report until now, but I just wanted to finish
some basic parts. So now here comes my summary what I have done during
the past weeks:

After the first steps of checking out a copy of Mailman 3 and Twisted,
building it and executing the test suites, I started with a install of
Mailman 3, to get a public test system. My Mailman 3 instance is
public available [1] and is working after first tests. Additional to
that, I created a blog post describing the setup and the difficulties
I encountered during the installation[2].

After that I read some main parts of the NNTP RFC (RFC3977[3]) and
identified major problems with the twisted nntp module. Apart from the
missing documentation there are some problems, that were discussed
recently on the mailing list. So I decided to write my own
implementation of the NNTP protocol based on asyncore. I recently
pushed a basic runner, protocol parser and handler to my personal
mailman branch[4]. I also created some basic unit tests, that could be
executed for example with "bin/test -m mailman.archiving.nntp".

I also reviewed the posts about different archiving backends from the
mailing list. I think that KittyStore as proposed, should be
sufficient to access the stored mails by the NNTP daemon. But the
daemon needs to keep additional information in its on database. It
should be possible to use the database of the mailman backend for that
purpose.

The next steps in the next few days, would be the identification and
basic implementation if the required NNTP commands. Basic browsing of
available lists should be possible until tomorrow. The required
configuration options in the backend, the required REST API changes
and the required changes in Postorius would be the next step
afterwards.

Thanks,
Alex

1: http://mailman3.animux.de/