[Mailman-Developers] URGENT: Google Summer of Code status report and code due

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 6 07:36:56 CEST 2012

I don't think Terri needs a cc, if she's not on mm-d.

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > >The top-level maybe shouldn't be "mailman", but rather something like
 > >"list-archive".
 >
 > Why is the prefix needed at all, especially since you qualified this as "not
 > gatewayed to Usenet"?  If all the messages are local to the server, there
 > should be no collisions on reverse list-id newsgroup names.

It's not clear to me how the MUA would know that.  Many MUAs (well, at
least one, and you know which one I'm talking about!  Reindeer and
mooses and Gnus, oh my!) can handle multiple feeds simultaneously.
Suppose you have multiple archives (mirrors!) which happen to have the
same list archived?  How does the MUA de-dupe lists (and/or merge
them, although I don't know if any MUAs can do that) if we don't have
a unique public name?

 > >Another issue with newsgroup names is that some lists *are* registered
 > >in the news hierarchy, so provision for such aliases should be allowed.
 >
 > Maybe that's the reason for the prefix?

Part of it, yes.