[Mailman-Developers] Questions in regard to the database operations

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 2 17:45:01 CEST 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 04:17 PM, Danci Emanuel wrote:

>Yes, in terms of how the back-end works, it answers it. But, I am interested
>also in the following aspect. Lets say that a users subscribes to a list with
>his/her preferred  address. Afterwards, how can that user, who does not have
>access to the back end  of the mailing list, add other email addresses from
>which he/she can send emails to the list? This is related strictly how a user
>would do it, not necessarily how the code works in this case.

There are two ways that I see.  The first would be to use Postorius (i.e. the
web ui) to log in and then add a new email address to your account.  Postorius
would then take care of making the right calls to the REST API, and initiating
the core to do the email validation.  Because you logged in, Postorius would
know your user id so it would know what user to link your new address to.

The other way to do this would be through the email API.  This is not yet
implemented because we haven't really worked out the exact protocol for adding
a new address to an existing account.  You probably have to send the "add
email" command from an address that's already known and validated to Mailman.
Then, you could probably send a password in cleartext :( or gpg sign your
message to prove you own the account, and thus the user id to add the address
to.  Alternatively, we would have to send a confirmation message to both
addresses, and only if we get positive responses to both would be validate the
new address and link it to the original address.

-Barry

[1] We probably need to define a site-wide email command alias.