[Mailman-Developers] feature request: one-click setting to preserve DKIM

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jan 6 01:42:21 CET 2012

On Jan 05, 2012, at 04:32 PM, Monica Chew wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 04, 2012, at 01:23 PM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>>
>>>Finally, if Mailman allowed users to choose whether to get the footer added,
>>>and subject munged, then Gmail users might avoid these issues anyway.
>>
>> Of course, such level of option would require personalization, i.e. one
>> message per recipient.  Maybe for most sites (but not all) the decade-old
>> economics that pushed us toward avoiding personalization by default has
>> changed enough now.  MM3's architecture is more conducive to loading more
>> functionality into personalized delivery.
>>
>> What do you think about changing this default?
>
>Are you suggesting changing the default to not munging the subject and
>adding the footer? I would be in favor, but also be interested in
>surveying mailman users to see how many use clients that offer no
>support for identifying or unsubscribing from mailing list mail.

Actually, I was asking about the default for personalized vs. non-personalized
delivery.  Right now, the default is to send all users the same copy of the
message (with some configurable batching sizes) in order to reduce network
bandwidth, i.e. non-personalized.  By switching to personalization by default,
we can enable VERP by default, personalized footers, etc.  Personalization
would allow for giving users more choices about subject munging, footer
adding, etc. but of course it would consume more network bandwidth and server
resources to stitch together individualized messages.

Cheers,