[Mailman-Developers] Automating Migration from MM2 to MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Apr 8 19:05:31 CEST 2012

(Removing mailman-coders which should just be fore commit messages.)

On Apr 06, 2012, at 09:41 PM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>In order to provide migration from MM2 to MM3, we will need to reformat the
>list configuration, membership rosters and the user preferences.

LP: #965532

>What should we do about: pending messages and the message archives?

I think pending messages *could* be upgraded, but it would probably be a
pain.

>Is it sufficient to assume that the MM2 lists will be shut down and all
>pending messages (and digests) will be delivered/flushed before restarting
>the list on the MM3 server?

I think this is a fair requirement.  Basically, you need a clean, non-running
system in order to fully upgrade.

>Do we need to provide a legacy interface to pipermail, thus "kicking the
>issue down the road", or Will someone migrate the legacy archives, or Will
>the user be expected to maintain two archives?

I think they'll probably *have* to maintain two archives, if they want to
continue to support legacy URLs.  Pipermail just has too many problems too
ensure that you could regenerate the archive even with itself and guarantee
your urls won't change.  You wouldn't want to break the googles. :)

So I think the safest thing for a site to do would be to leave the old
Pipermail archives around, and then regenerate the new archives from the .mbox
file.

>Have I omitted any additional transition issues?

Probably, but I can't think of what atm. :)

Cheers,
-Barry