[Mailman-Developers] mailman / archive-ui / licensing questions

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 08:56:30 CEST 2012

This thread is slowing down my coding! :)    (it's been really helpful
though all, thanks for the many perspectives!)

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Terri Oda <terri at zone12.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that people who
> *package* mailman for different distributions may choose different
> recommended/required archive software, since they can (and with the license
> hassle likely should)) be separate packages.  So what works for the FSF,
> what works for us as a dev team, and what works for the distributions may
> actually be different things.

I agree I'm coming around to the sensibility of possibly not including an
archiver with MM3, just so long as there actually ARE solid and working
archivers that plug right in with nothing more than an apt-get (or equiv).
It's just as fine if the distribution maintainers pick which one to
include, and this gets around all this FSF/GPL/whatsit stuff... without
bascally getting a pipermail default. I still think it's dangerous for
people landing on Mailman's website and downloading source..

> So no matter what, having David release his work is potentially going to
> lead to people getting it as a default, somewhere along the line, if he's
> got a great solution available.

I know this thread is long and in pieces, but just to clarify, my code is
already released and has been S-BSD for **ten** years. The UI is a little
dated, so I'm cleaning up both the UI and the code right now, but I just
want folks to know the code is already out there..

http://www.clearsilver.net/archive/

http://dj1.willowmail.com/csla/Mailman-Developers

...this discussion is all just about whether mailman wants to bundle (or
reference) near-future updates to this stuff. I was hoping that rather than
create my own separate OSS-y website and such for it, I could just hang out
here and roll it into Mailman-land. You guys have done great work.

If this GPL/S-BSD issue turns out to be a blocker, then I'll just make my
own site and maintain (my version) there because I want to release my code
S-BSD.

Also, there will be *zero* ill-will if you folks want to wrap it up in a
GPL license and stick it into mailman... i just won't be maintaining that,
or assigning copyright, and any patches I make will be into my S-BSD tree.
Perhaps not ideal, but still seems a better outcome than pipermail.