[Mailman-Developers] mailman / archive-ui / licensing questions

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 06:33:33 CEST 2012

On Apr 3, 2012 11:58 AM, "Toshio Kuratomi" <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The question is "would you BUNDLE another archiver even if the licenses
> > don't match?"

> Where could your archiver fit into that sequence of impressions?  I'm not
> entirely sure.  I think that it probably couldn't be bundled into the same
> tarball with mailman core due to mailman being an FSF project.

I'm just going to charge down the path I was on and finish up something
that's a great drop in for MM2/MM3. I'll even try to add some pipermail URL
compatibility. It'll be S-BSD, so (if you like it) the MM devs and the FSF
can wrestle with issues of whether you want to bundle it as is, put a
rubber GPL stamp on it, or just point to it like you would any other
archiver.

I honestly expected to have an updated UI to show by now. I've been busy
with some code-restructuring, and an unbelievable amount of life-stuff came
across my bow in the past week. It shouldn't be too long now.

> But pointing to it from list.org or blessing it as the "standard
archiver" for mailman3
> is probably something that could be discussed by the core devs and
yourself.

I'm a bit scared of a world where MM3 does not include any archiver. If
pipermail popularity is any indication of how often admins 'stick with the
bundled defaults', we could have an unreasonable number of MM3 lists with
no archives at all.

Obviously the team is free to bless any archiver it wants, mine or others.

Also, I'm certainly NOT trying to get anyone to agree to bless an archiver
before they've even seen it working and kicking butt. I was just trying to
understand the many issues as I'm cleaning up my code and trying to find it
a home with a bit more utility. I think I have a great idea from all the
disussions here.. THANKS!