[Mailman-Developers] mailman / archive-ui / licensing questions

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 06:16:28 CEST 2012

On Apr 3, 2012 8:14 PM, "Bob Puff" <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:
> > I think it would be a mistake to bundle any archiver with mailman3.
> > Listing the available archiver options and their features and
> > shortcomings would be a better way to go.
>
> -1
>
> I think the majority of MM users will be simply using the RPM that comes
with
> their distro, and there is a real benefit to stuff working right "out of
the
> box".  This includes the Archiving functions.
>
> Its great to have options, and giving a list of possible alternatives for
> users is excellent, but I think releasing MM 3 without -any- archiver is a
> down-grade from the current MM 2.x.

I agree. If MM2 and pipermail is any indication of how often admins just
'leave the defaults', then bunding no archive interface with MM3 would mean
most mailing lists would have no archive.

I'd personally like to see a better archiver rolled into an MM2 point
release, as well as upcoming MM3 development. (I understand pipermail URL
compat would be nice in that case).