[Mailman-Developers] Mailman headers (was Re: New RFC on using DKIM with MLMs)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Oct 29 12:31:01 CEST 2011

Murray S. Kucherawy writes:

 > So your perspective is "why bother [distinguishing List-Agent from
 > User-Agent]", basically?

If you put it that way, yes.  There sure does need to be a reason to
bother.

 > That's fair, I guess, but at the same time, what's the harm in
 > making the distinction?

Maybe there is no distinction to be made, in which case making an
artificial distinction is creating confusion where there was none
before.

Eg, I can just see someone arguing that when Mailman generates a
message (a rejection, a password reminder, whatever) it's a
User-Agent, while when it simply relays it's a List-Agent.

 > If for some reason something down the road wants to indicate the
 > two separately, this would make it easy.

Let that "something" write the RFC, then, when it's got a reason for
increasing congestion of the namespace.