[Mailman-Developers] Mailman headers (was Re: New RFC on using DKIM with MLMs)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Oct 29 02:45:56 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > >> X-Mailman-Version
 > >
 > >I think this should be replaced with X-Mailer, or even User-Agent. That's not
 > >currently an SMTP header, but I think it should be. And it is in quite
 > >widespread use.
 >
 > This is just the version of Mailman that sent the message.  It can lose the X-
 > prefix.

I think that's a bad idea.  The version string should go in a *-Agent
header, along with the agent's identity.

While I disagree with having Mailman be a User-Agent, I can't actually
say there are useful semantics to having a separate List-Agent.  Nor
do I see a real problem with having multiple User-Agent headers, if
multiple agents have handled the message.