[Mailman-Developers] New RFC on using DKIM with MLMs

Murray S. Kucherawy msk at cloudmark.com
Thu Oct 13 20:21:14 CEST 2011

The document does point out that the "friendly" approach is to put stuff like URLs for querying archives and unsubscription instructions up in the header using the List-* fields specified in RFC2919 and RFC2369 rather than as body suffixes, and don't tag Subject: fields (or, at least, have that off-by-default).

Essentially to be "DKIM-friendly" you're free to make any changes you want to the message so long as they are confined to those parts of the message not "covered" by the DKIM signature.  So if a signature doesn't cover Subject:, you're fine.  Obviously there are many MUAs out there that filter/sort based on the Subject: tags that will be affected to some degree, but they could also take the same action on a List-ID: field just as easily.  And any MUA that orders a mailbox based on threading using References: and In-Reply-To: won't be affected at all.

> Again, thanks.  It's nice to see specific guidelines published as an
> RFC which we can then refer to for justification of Mailman's policy
> and features.

Glad we could be of service!

-MSK