[Mailman-Developers] Mailman headers roundup

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Nov 16 03:24:49 CET 2011

On Nov 02, 2011, at 09:26 AM, William Bagwell wrote:

>I happen to like Topics and find them quite usefull. You are correct
>however in that they are confusing. The few lists I have been on through
>the years that enabled Topics were all social lists with non-technical
>users. BTW, these lists started on ListServe and later migrated to
>Mailman to save money. I'm presuming that the name and function "Topics"
>originated with ListServe?

The topics feature was funded and promoted by Control.com way back in the 2.1
alpha days (the NEWS file says it was released in 2.1a3 on 22-Oct-2001).  IIRC
we had quite a few discussions both internally and publicly about what
Control.com needed, and how best to generalize the feature for the Mailman
community.