[Mailman-Developers] Proposal for a new menu grouping in MM3webUI

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 25 18:32:53 CEST 2011

On 5/25/11 7:25 AM, C Nulk wrote:
> Yeah, I took a look at what I wrote and I wasn't as clear as I thought I
> was.  By SCHEDULED digest, I mean a digest sent out on a set time period
> or frequency (like Years, Months, Weeks, etc.).  Those digests would
> have the volume number incremented and the digest number reset to 1.
> Any digests sent within (or BETWEEN) the scheduled digests time period /
> freq. for whatever reason - size, number of msgs - would increment the
> digest number only.   If there are no digests/msgs to send, then the
> volume number does not increment.

That is essentially what I thought you meant, and as I said, that's not
how it works in Mailman 2.1 (See below)

digest_volume_frequency and digest_send_periodic are separate,
independent settings. digest_volume_frequency controls only when the
volume number changes. digest_send_periodic controls whether or not a
digest is sent when cron/senddigests runs (default, daily at noon). In
any case, a digest is always sent when the size of the list's
accumulated digest.mbox reaches digest_size_threshhold.

I.e. there are no 'scheduled' digests other than the ones sent daily by
cron/senddigests and those have no relation to the volume number.

Even if digest_volume_frequency is Daily, and digest_send_periodic is
Yes, and digests are sent at noon, a digest triggered on size at 09:00
will be issue number one of that day's volume if it's the first digest
of the day.

> On 5/24/2011 3:50 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> This is not the way it works in MM 2.1. In MM 2.1, the volume
>> increments and the issue resets to one for the first digest produced
>> in a new period, where period is Year, Quarter, Month, Week or Day as
>> set in Digest options -> digest_volume_frequency. The issue increments
>> for each digest produced in that period whether the digest is produced
>> 'periodically' or by size. If there are no posts/digests produced
>> during a period, the volume doesn't increment for that period.

San Francisco Bay Area, California    Better use your sense - B. Dylan