[Mailman-Developers] Proposal for a new menu grouping in MM3 webUI

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Wed May 25 00:28:29 CEST 2011

Benedict,

* Benedict Stein <benedict.stein at googlemail.com>:
> As introduced by terry yesterday I'm the one who will support the
> development of the WebUI which should be published together with MM3 -
> or even better as a standalone Django Application using the REST-Api.
>
> Those who already saw my Blogpost know what I'm talking about now - the
> new menu grouping.
> I've created a mindmap showing  a possible regrouping of menu items.
> Florian asked me only to use these which are already available in the
> REST API.
>
> Just in case you didn't read my Blog yet - I've attached the image.
>
> Feel free to give any feedback you like,

The current (MM2) structure is far too complex. I work with it often and I
still get lost or spend too much time searching for an option that must have
been, wait, well where did it ...

In 2009 I ended up buying tickets for Pycon 2009, visiting Barry to work on
the MM3 WUI.

Here's what I came up with (and what I personally still would do):

The navigation structure should work for the following user groups:

- subscriber
- moderator
- admin

Each group (in descending order) requires an interface that offers/exposes more
options. Put the other way around: The interface should hide all options not
required for a group.

A user can see the same interface different any time she logs in, IF she acts
out different roles (subscriber, moderator, admin).

I think we need to develop a structure that works for all groups and remains
consistent. No matter which role you own, menu items should always be located
at the same place.

I think this can be done best if menu items were rearranged following a
role/task driven approach.

Here's a model I've come up with at Pycon 2009:

        The model forsees plugins, something Barry and I discussed to open MM3
        to development by third parties.

A subscriber could see these items:

dashboard
options
    general
    topics
    plugins
subscriptions
    subscribe
    remove
    modify
statistics
    List

A moderator would see more items, building upon the already established
"subscriber" structure:

dashboard
requests
statistics
    System
    List
    User
plugins
    plugin 1
        configuration options
    plugin 2

Finally, an admin would be exposed to all options available through the WUI:

dashboard
maintenance
    requests
options
    General
        Subscription Rules
        Language
    Non-Digest/Digest
    Filter
        Sender
        Recipient
        Spam
        Message
        Topics
    Bounces
    Archive
    Gateways
    Auto-Responder
    Plugins
subscriptions
    subscribe
    remove
statistics
    System
    List
    User
plugins
    plugin 1
        configuration options
    plugin 2

I've laid all this and descriptions of the various items down in
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/global+requirements>.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666