[Mailman-Developers] Proposal for a new menu grouping in MM3 webUI

C Nulk CNulk at scu.edu
Wed May 25 00:11:48 CEST 2011

On 5/24/2011 5:23 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On May 24, 2011, at 01:39 PM, Benedict Stein wrote:
>
>> 5. showing stats within the archives view instead of the config
> Yep.  We need to do a much better job of collecting and exposing stats.

I don't know if this is the place to mention it but along with increased
accessibility to statistics and archives, the ability to look at or
review the logging information is also very important.  Anywhere in the
code that output's to a log file should provide enough information to
follow a message coming into Mailman, through the various Mailman
processes, and out of Mailman.  I went through Mailman v2.1.9 to add
additional logging information so I can track a message.  My users call
on a regular basis to check if their message "went out" to a list they
can post to but not read (it gets complicated).   Once I had the logging
information (message-id, listname, sender, etc.), I wrote a web app that
parses the vette, smtp, and post logs and combines the information so I
can see what happened to the message either by list or by sender.  It
works well for me but additional logging information for tracking
messages and problems is also need.

I know I drifted a bit but additional logging is needed and an
administrative interface to view the information is also needed.

>> Thanks for you help improving this work.
> Thank *you*!
>
> -Barry

Thank you for the work also.   I did view your latest diagram and the
volume/digest issue seems to be correct.  But just to make sure, the
volume number is increased for every SCHEDULED digest sent out (with the
digest number reset to 1).  Next, any addition digests sent out BETWEEN
scheduled digests (whether due to size of digest or number of messages
in the digest) increase the digest number but not the volume number.  If
that is true, then I am in agreement with you :)  because it mimics the
magazine style of volume/issue.

Thanks for yours and Barry's hard work,
Chris