[Mailman-Developers] Apache configuration: Web Interface for archives in mm3

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon May 16 19:30:02 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> Second, Pipermail has always generated static HTML files, so the "web ui" such
> as it is, is basically just Apache vending those static HTML files.  Now, I've
> long thought that it would be better, and technically feasible, to generate
> the archive HTML on the fly, when a message is requested (with appropriate
> caching for performance).

This is what UpLib does.  Actually, it does two things: it generates the
static HTML (for the obsolete first-generation UI), but it also
generates on-the-fly pages when a page is requested (the more modern,
but still needing-to-be-updated current UI).

Since UpLib can also process photos, Web pages, Powerpoint decks, Word,
PDF, etc., it can display attachments next to the mail message as
thumbnails with links to the attachment document.  It's a tad tricky to
display those documents -- for years I've been using a Java applet, but
that's clearly not the wave of the tablet future, so I've been playing
with the gnubook code as an alternative.

Bill