[Mailman-Developers] Converting the Mailman wiki

Bradley Dean bjdean at bjdean.id.au
Fri May 6 06:22:38 CEST 2011

Greetings folks,

I'm part of the new group that John Sullivan of the FSF has brought
together to look at migrating the Mailman wiki from Confluence to MoinMoin.

We've all just been introduced to each other so we're still very much at
the beginning of getting ourselves organised; I've said that I would get
in contact with you to ask a few initial questions to help us on our way.

So - here we go, and in no particular order:

  * It looks like confluence supports XML exports for the purpose of
backup/restore
    Have you done this? If the confluence database is in a proprietary
format I would this this might be the best way to get at the data.
    I would also think that it might contain the most complete version
of the data (apart from direct access to the database) in terms of
preserving meta-data like authorship and version history.

  * If the export is not available / possible for some reason what would
you suggest would be the best approach for us to access the wiki? Do we
just need accounts within the wiki, or do we need an account on the
hosting server?

  * A rather open-ended question - but what is your priority in terms of
the migration? By this I mean:
    - which content from the wiki (could be all of it!)
    - how much meta-data (version history, authors, etc.)
    - administrative data like users and logins (nb. it may not be
possible to bring passwords across)

And of course any other comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Cheerio,

  Brad
--
Bradley Dean