[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman GSoC] Archive UI Web Framework

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jun 24 15:41:43 CEST 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 08:16 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>I don't know that much about the various ORM schemes. Could someone explain
>why the STORM is preferred to the Django ORM or that used in Pylons?

I like Storm because it's a lightweight layer on top of dbapi and SQL.
There's not much guessing about what's really happening under the hood, and
the library itself is pretty small so it's easier to reason about what a
particular expression is going to translate to.

It's also heavily battle tested, e.g. in Launchpad, which is way, way bigger
than Mailman will ever be.  Of course it's also free software and GPL
compatible, which is critical to Mailman's use.

The biggest complaint I have is that it's a bit under documented.  OTOH, I've
also found it's pretty easy to use given the existing documentation, and
because the code is small, well-tested, and nicely organized, it's easy to dip
into it for the few times I've needed to.

https://storm.canonical.com/

Cheers,
-Barry