[Mailman-Developers] MM3: list disabling/enabling?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 12:38:23 CEST 2011

On 16 Jul 2011, at 07:18, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>> Do you really think it needs to be configurable?  I mean, if we
>> can't think of a reason to not make it 5xx, why not just wait for
>> the first wishlist bug report?  :)
>
> No, on second thought after reviewing the codes, the only appropriate
> 5xx code is 550.  So there's no reason I can think of for
> configurability at this point.

Sure, 550 is appropriate, but an rfc1893/2034 enhanced error code should be used, too. These might be useful:

X.1.0   Other address status
 X.1.6   Destination mailbox has moved, No forwarding address
       X.2.1   Mailbox disabled, not accepting messages

Also, there's a case for customising the text returned, if not the error code.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex