[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.x Virtual Hosting

Pavel Šimerda pavlix at pavlix.net
Wed Jul 6 17:29:19 CEST 2011

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry I couldn't write earlier.

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:29 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Hi Pavel, thanks for writing this up for the benefit of other users.  I just
> want to comment on one thing.
>
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 03:06 PM, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
>
> >First thing that surprised me is that Mailman doesn't support virtual
> >hosting. The second one was that documentation claimes it does. Even the
> >simplest test, creation of lists with same names under different domains
> >shows 2.x vhost support is simply broken.
>
> Can you point to where the documentation makes this claim?  It's painfully
> well-known that same-list-different-domains is not supported by default in
> Mailman 2.x.  If there's official documentation that claims otherwise, we need
> to fix that.

The official documentation doesn't explicitly claim it. But there's a
section about setting up virtual domains that doesn't warn that virtual
domain implementation is incomplete:

http://www.gnu.org/s/mailman/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html

I, as a seasoned user of Postfix, Apache, and other virtualized server
software, but new user of Mailman, can confirm, that this documentation
made me think mailman fully supports virtual hosting. Unfortunately,
there are other resources on the web that are similarly confusing.

With most of the patches already working, it doesn't look too hard to
add full virtual domain support to Mailman 2.x via address rewriting. I
fixed more issues on my installation myself.

Any way, I'd be very pleased if the documentation is “fixed”, even if
its brokennes is not obvious to people who have lived with Mailman
for long time.

> >I would like to know if there's anyone else interested in getting
> >Mailman 2.x to support a feature the documentation already claims to
> >support.
> >
> >Testing, links to resources, code, and help with getting it official is
> >welcome.
>
> I would oppose making this feature official in Mailman 2.x.  It's much better
> to help get Mailman 3 to releasable state.  I think it's fine if you need a
> solution right now, to work on, and publish unofficial patches for Mailman 2.x.

If Mailman 3 is comming soon, I could stay with the current,
semi-functional state (combination of Mailman 2.x, downloaded patches
and some local fixes) and switch to Mailman 3 when it's ready (possibly
help with bugreports and some fixes, as I know a bit of Python).

Any timelines?

Pavel