[Mailman-Developers] MM 3.0 build error

Panks pankajxdx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:15:17 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> Hi Pankaj,
>
> Thanks for downloading MM3 and giving it a try.  Please note that the bzr
> branch is a little more up-to-date, and I'll be working over the xmas
> break to
> integrate authentication into the REST API.  Once that's done, look for the
> first beta early in 2012.
>
> On Dec 18, 2011, at 11:31 PM, Panks wrote:
>
> >Hello everyone,
> >This is Pankaj, I have decent knowledge of C++ and a little bit
> >of practice in python (I did some projects in python), I am new to Mailman
> >and I am interested in contributing to it. Today I downloaded the source
> of
> >MM 3.0 from launchpad and saw few bugs, I installed apache and got it
> >running and installed Exim too, but while running _bootstrap.py_ from MM
> >source directory, I'm getting this output in terminal:
>
> We don't have official Exim integration yet.  We really need an Exim
> expert to
> help us with the integration point, although given that (I believe) Exim
> supports LMTP, it might be pretty easy.  We use LMTP to inject messages
> into
> MM3 from Postfix, and of course SMTP to inject messages into the MTA from
> MM3.
>
> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "bootstrap.py", line 163, in <module>
> >    options.setup_source).read().replace('\r\n', '\n')
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
> >    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 394, in open
> >    response = self._open(req, data)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 412, in _open
> >    '_open', req)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 372, in _call_chain
> >    result = func(*args)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1201, in http_open
> >    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1140, in do_open
> >    h = http_class(host, timeout=req.timeout) # will parse host:port
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 693, in __init__
> >    self._set_hostport(host, port)
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 718, in _set_hostport
> >    raise InvalidURL("nonnumeric port: '%s'" % host[i+1:])
> >httplib.InvalidURL: nonnumeric port: ''
>
> Can you describe the exact steps you took to do the build?  What OS are you
> using?  It looks like you're using Python 2.7, which should be fine, but is
> that your distro's version of Python or a from-source build?  Have you set
> up
> a mailman.cfg configuration file, and if so, please include its contents.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

That was a just small silly mistake from my side.
Anyway, thank you.
So, I was able to build and install MM 3.0 successfully.
But I want to know how should I go forward with making changes in code. I
mean, do it need to re-install it from source to check the results, every
time i make some changes in the code or is there any other way out.
*

*
*Pankaj*
*UG Student | **Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering*
*IIT Madras, Chennai, India*
*
*