[Mailman-Developers] Welcome to our Google Summer of Code Students!

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Apr 27 16:04:27 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 12:02 AM, Terri Oda wrote:

>I hope you'll all join me in welcoming our new Google Summer of Code
>students:
>
>* Benedict Stein (benste on IRC) will be working to complete the GSoC work
>* Anna did last summer on the django-based web UI for Mailman 3.0.
>
>* Drew Rodman will be converting pipermail to use SQL (rather than pickles)
>* for storing data and creating an upgrade script to help users migrate their
>* archives to the new format.  He's even hoping to get Stable URLs working by
>* the end of the summer!
>
>* Dushyant Bansal (dushyant on IRC) will be working on the interface of the
>* archives, integrating work from Yian and Priya's GSoC projects last summer
>* and getting it all ready to go for Mailman 3.
>
>I'm really excited to have all these great projects and great students!

Indeed!  I'm really excited about our students and the projects they're going
to be working on.  I think we'll make some really excellent progress toward
our 11.11.11 release date:

http://www.wefearchange.org/2011/04/release-that-rewrite-on-111111.html

My *huge* thanks also go to Terri, Florian, and Anna for their mentorship this
year and all the great work they did on our GSoC applications.

>While the students do have a set of official mentors (Barry, Florian, Anna
>and me), you're all encouraged to help out throughout the summer. The end
>goal is to have some fully integrated awesomeness, so don't be shy if you've
>got questions, suggestions, etc.
>
>If you've been lurking here wondering how to get involved with Mailman 3, now
>might be a great time: we've got mentors who've already set aside time to be
>involved this summer, and we've got students who could benefit from having
>more people involved in development effort over the next few months.  For
>example, we discovered while our students were writing patches that we don't
>have a great description of the Mailman 3 install process, so if you want to
>install it and write up your experiences on the wiki (or just in a blog post
>we can link to!), that's a great place to start!

Yes!

I am planning a 3.0.0a7 release this week, and as always am available to
answer questions during US/Eastern (UTC-4) working hours on #mailman on
freenode.  I encourage you to come hang out there, and also ask questions on
this mailing list.

Cheers,
-Barry