[Mailman-Developers] Attachments being scrubbed even for listswhere 'archive' is set to No

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 20 19:02:02 CEST 2011

Bernie Innocenti wrote:

>This is Mailman 2.14, but the bug was also present in ancient releases.
>
>We have a list configured like this:
>  archive=No
>  archive_private=Yes
>
>The global settings are:
>  DEFAULT_ARCHIVE=On
>  DEFAULT_ARCHIVE_PRIVATE=0
>  ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX=2
>  PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER=No
>
>Even though no html archives are being generated, Mailman still creates
>the attachments directory for this list, and saves all attachments in
>it.
>
>I've traced the code responsible for this to ArchiverMailbox.__init__(),
>invoked by HyperArchive.processUnixMailbox(). I couldn't find where
>Mailman uses the perl-list 'archive' flag. Only the global
>DEFAULT_ARCHIVE seems to be considered.

The list's 'archive' flag is tested in the ToArchive.py handler and if
False, the message is never queued for archiving and the
HyperArchive.processUnixMailbox() process is never invoked.

Scrubbing is not only done in archiving. See my comment in your bug
report at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/767335/comments/1>.