[Mailman-Developers] Help with mailman 3, attempting to build branch

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Oct 27 14:09:00 CEST 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

>I've worked through the bzr install[0] and finally have my own separate
>install of Python 2.7 with bzr2.3, just for mailman. However, 2.7
>doesn't appear to work - should I be using Python 2.6 instead? Is there
>a way to get it working with 2.7? [1]

Hi Simon.  I can reproduce this with Python2.7 on Ubuntu 10.10.  This is
caused by the locknix package, which depends on setuptools_bzr.  The issues
you've identified with bzr on Python2.7 are causing the setuptools_bzr
dependency to fail.

The upstream fix is to remove this dependency from the locknix setup.py file.
I'll try to do that in the next day or so.  Once I release a new locknix
package, it should work again.  (Side note: I want to move locknix into the
flufl namespace package, so things will change a bit more at some point in the
future, but I won't block a quick fix on that reorganization.)

>Incidentally, are there plans to allow installs to a different location?
>If you specify a prefix to install under, it checks for the presence of
>the Python site-packages and fails if they're not present. Is it going
>to be a requirement to install under the Python tree, or is this just
>for development?

Can you provide the commands that failed for you?  I'd like to try to
reproduce this.  If you can, submit a bug report.

Ideally, the 'mailman' package will be installed under site-packages (or
dist-packages for the Debuntudes in the audience ;) and you'll have access to
just the few command line scripts in /usr/bin.

Alternatively, it should be possible to build Mailman 3 in a virtualenv to
stick it anywhere you want, though I haven't tried that in a while.

-Barry