[Mailman-Developers] DKIM and MLMs draft RFC

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri May 14 16:13:21 CEST 2010

--On 14 May 2010 15:22:02 +0200 Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I wanted to point people to this draft RFC:
>
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-dkim-lists/
>
> by Murray S. Kucherawy, addressing DKIM issues related to mailing list
> managers.  Murray has contacted Mark and I, and I'd like to invite your
> input on this mailing list.
>
> -Barry

I'm curious about this paragraph:
"Common modifications include:
   o  Add header fields such as Reply-To:, Sender:, Resent-Sender:
      ([MAIL]), List-Id: ([LIST-ID]) or List-Unsubscribe: ([LIST-URLS]).
      In some cases, such header fields are replaced if the original
      message already contained them."

Does mailman replace such headers?

Is that desirable for umbrella lists? For example, if list B is subscribed
to list A, then I guess the list-unsubscribe header does need to be
replaced, since it's misleading to pass  unsubscription details for list A
to the subscriber of list B.

Is it still desirable for Mailman 3.0? I guess it'll be less common, since
a single site will replace umbrella lists with rosters. However, if list A
and list B are on different sites, the problem will persist.

What happens with digest messages? Is each digested message packaged
sufficiently such that a DKIM message that it carries will not be broken?
Is that possible? Does the idea of packaging single messages (like a digest
of one) have any merit?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex