[Mailman-Developers] installing Mailman 3.0

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu May 6 14:19:02 CEST 2010

On May 05, 2010, at 06:29 PM, Anna Granudd wrote:

>I downloaded the latest Mailman branch from Launchpad (using bzr branch
>lp:mailman) and tried installing it but ran into some trouble. The commands
>I was told to use for the installation were: "python bootstrap.py" followed
>by "bin/buildout" and "bin/test" (I assume the bin-folder will be created
>after the bootstrap file is run since I don't have it right now). However,
>running the first command I encounter the following error:
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>File "bootstrap.py", line 69, in <module>
>ws.find(pkg_resources.Requirement.parse('setuptools')).location
>AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'location'
>
>The file belong to my user which was also used for the python command
>(meaning I did not use sudo to run it, although doing so gives me the same
>error). Any tips how I should proceed to install Mailman 3.0 and should the
>commands be run using sudo? I should probably add a user "mailman" instead
>of using my own, but right now I'm more interested in getting the whole
>thing to run. I currently run Kubuntu 10.04 and Python v. 2.6.5 if that
>might have something to do with the error message.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 with the stock Python 2.6.5, so all that should work, and
you should not need to be root to build and run Mailman in your own working
directories.

I /think/ what's happening is that zc.buildout 1.5.0b2 was recently pushed to
the Cheeseshop and that has some bugs that broke our build.  I definitely
tried this a few days ago and it worked just fine.  I've seen some recently
messages about a new, broken version of zc.buildout, and I'll check with some
folks in the know a little later today.

-Barry