[Mailman-Developers] Implementing a new feature, first steps

Ben Wilber benwilber at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 05:02:48 CET 2010

Hello,

I am interested in implementing a new feature in Mailman and am in need of a
bit of direction.  The feature I'm considering would match the subject of an
inbound message against one or more regexes and upon finding a match would
redirect the message to a different, pre-defined, list.  The web interface
would have a text box accepting a regex and a drop-down list of mailing
lists to redirect the message to.  The original sender would get an
auto-response saying something like "Based on the content of your subject
line, we have redirected your message to this list ..." etc.

I've been picking through the code (very nice and well-documented) and have
not been able to find the right spot to insert a bit of code to do what I
want.  Would anyone be able to point me to the right handler class to
modify?  Maybe I need a new handler that gets called as a sort of filter?
I'm not exactly sure yet and I don't see anything that seems to have that
kind of interface.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Of course, any code I write (and which you find useful) will go right back
upstream!

Thanks,

Ben