[Mailman-Developers] Mailman user interface: draft of a mega drop-down navigation

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 12:25:43 CEST 2010

--On 24 June 2010 19:18:22 +0300 Geoff Shang <geoff at QuiteLikely.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Claudia Fleiner wrote:
>
>> Here I will present you our idea of a mega drop-down navigation panel
>> for the  new Mailman user interface:
>> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Web+UI+Mockups
>
> Can anyone explain this a bit for those of us who can't see this image?
> Or better still, point us at a coded example?

The page is a Mailman page that looks like it's for list administrators,
but that's not made clear anywhere.

Top left is a nice new Mailman logo, but if you can't see it, that doesn't
help! Maybe the logo should be implemented in HTML5 such that the text
("Mailman GNU" is machine readable).

Below the logo is a horizonal set of tabs with text labels: "Maintenance",
"Options", "Subscriptions", "Statistics", "Plugins". I'm not sure that
"maintenance" and "options" are good labels. If maintenance relates to
pending moderation requests, perhaps it should be labelled "requests", or
"queues". I'd prefer "configuration" for options, given that there are
options (by definition) in every menu.

Below are some paragraphs of Ipsum Lorem text.

As a result of a mouseover on the "options tab", a vertical menu of options
has popped up: "General, Non-Digest/Digest, Filter, Bounces, Archive,
Gateways, Auto-responder, Plugins".

Two of these options have submenus - fully visible and aligned
horizontally: "General - Subscription Rules, Language", and "Filter -
Sender, Recipient, Spam, Message, Topics".

There are icons adjacent to each of the options.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex