[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jun 16 06:03:20 CEST 2010

Cristóbal Palmer writes:

 > While I could in theory maintain a patch, I have a lot of machines to
 > herd, and I am unlikely to customize anything unless I must do so in
 > order to meet a requirement.

This is a straw man in the context of the Mailman pipelined
architecture and the CheeseShop.

 > While I share your distaste for bad implementations of... anything,
 > really, CAPTCHAs do not annoy me unless they are poorly implemented,
 > and they do not have to be poorly implemented.

Show me some well-implemented CAPTCHAs.  Maybe I don't have to avoid
them any more.  However, the ones I have seen recently are no better
than the ones I was seeing 3 or 4 years ago, and they still involve
extra clicks, extra typing, and eyestrain.  For blog comments, a
CAPTCHA invariably means I'll move on.

I'd also like to see evidence that CAPTCHAs work better than other
efforts at confusing the attacker.