[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Cristóbal Palmer cmpalmer at garp.metalab.unc.edu
Sun Jun 13 23:16:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:12:18PM -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> > could have MM3 ship with a CAPTCHA system and/or support for a class
> > of CAPTCHA systems in the default web UI, that would be super.

I'd like to re-emphasize the fact that what I would like is some sort
of plugin support. Want this kind of CAPTCHA? Take these simple
steps....

> But, captchas?  Pre-defeated.

With all due respect to your experience, I don't think CAPTCHAs as a
class have been defeated, in the sense that the goal is not to
completely defeat all spam, but rather the goal is to mitigate at
relatively low cost to ourselves and at high cost to the spammers, and
from personal experience I can say that reCAPTCHA has served that
purpose well when I have deployed it.

If there's some other non-CAPTCHA approach (or set of approaches) that
we could use to help reduce spammy signups, then I'm all for it. I
guess my hope is that we'd have something in place that reduces the
signups themselves rather than imposing work or workflow changes on
moderators or list members after they've joined. If that's necessary,
fine, but let's try things that happen at the signup step, too, yes?

Even something as simple as requiring a hidden form field NONCE and
conservative rate limits on public signups, neither of which require
javascript or images....

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer