[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Jun 4 17:42:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:12:04AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 04, 2010, at 11:20 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> >These days, I guess that requiring approval for membership should be the
> >default, so that should be part of any shipping style.
>
> Is it?  Aren't most open source discussion lists generally open membership
> (perhaps with initial moderation)?

Are we (as a community) forgetting who the majority of users/admins
who need "more help than normal" are?

I would have thought more "real-world" users of Mailman, would be the
sort of things we see questions being asked about on mailman-users;
newsletters, announcement lists, that sort of thing, rather than what
we, as geeks are au fait with.

I'm more of the mould that maybe we should make things a little easier
for those who can't read source-code, who need something up and
running quickly and without fuss; I'm not quite sure I go as far as
Ian, in requiring approval, but certainly to require confirmation, and
I might suggest, moderation bit being set, too.

(most of *my* 400 odd lists are for non-geeks; a majority of them
are open-subscription, without moderation, but I vaguely keep an eye
on the amounts of mail going to each list; there's an element of
trust, and vigorous spam-filtering going on before mail gets to
Mailman).

--
If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us. (Calvin and Hobbes)