[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 3 20:20:25 CEST 2010

www.systers.org

>> The UI will be
>> written as an app in Django. Together with my mentor Florian we've discussed
>> some general matters regarding the UI and the most recent concern adding a
>> database for it. We figured it might be good to use the core db only for the
>> "standard" UI with which we'll communicate through the rest-client and for
>> organizations wishing to customize the UI, such as Systers, we'll let them
>> add a UI db.
>
>Do translations/i18n aspects come under UI customizations?

We do eventually need to make sure all of the web ui can be translated.
Ideally, we'd be able to extract text strings into .pot files and then set up
a catalog for the wui.  I don't know how Django does it, but it should be part
of the story.

>    1. Ability for users to subscribe, manage subscriptions,
>       unsubscribe, change emails
>    2. Admin ability to create/delete lists via pre-defined styles

Note that in my current thinking, it is the site admin who can create styles.
I don't know if individual list admins should be able to do that, though they
should definitely be able to pick a style and do some customizations of their
list.  The ability of site admins to lock down styles, control customizations,
and delegate style definitions can come later.

>    3. Users ability to customize their subscirptions
>
>s/subscirptions/subscriptions/
>
>    4. Moderation
>    5. Site admin ability to create domains, add and modify
>       styles
>    6. List admin ability to customize lists
>
>I think admins being able to set-up/customize lists, is probably
>equally important, if not more important, then being able to
>(un)sub; if the lists can't easily be set-up, then what's the point in
>having people subscribe to them?

Lists can currently be easily created on the command line, and
subbing/unsubbing is a much more common task, so I think there is an argument
for users being able to easily join/leave existing lists before it's easy to
create lists through the web.  But I don't have strong feelings either way.

-Barry