[Mailman-Developers] Feature request for Mailman 3: Ability to set size limits on a per Topic basis.

William Bagwell William at alt-config.net
Wed Jul 28 20:03:17 CEST 2010

I realize Topics are not widely implemented but would love to see this
feature for the few lists who do use them. One very non-technical chat
list I'm on is almost ten years old and split off of a much older list on
the same subject. Last year I helped them move to Mailman from that
expensive service whose name I shall not mention.

Not only does this list use Topics (16 at the moment) it also allows, even
welcomes pictures and allows a few other types of attachments. However, it
is always confusing which Topic to use. Not all attachments are
pictures... Bottom line is that no matter what naming schema is used
*someone* will get confused and then gets yelled at by the current list
owner (not me, I ain't taking the job!) for posting attachments to the
wrong Topic. Not only is this embarrassing for the 'yellie', it annoys
the rest of the members seeing this same scene play out every few months.
Worst of all leads to early list owner burn out and good ones as we all
know are rather hard to find.

If message size limits could be set per topic then an impartial
reply-bot would get to be the heavy in private. If this would be too code
bloating, then having two (or perhaps three) levels of size limits with
each Topic being assigned to a level would work just as well.

Thanks.
--
William