[Mailman-Developers] password handling in MM3

C Nulk CNulk at scu.edu
Mon Jul 12 19:05:03 CEST 2010

Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 9 July 2010 12:11:50 +0200 Anna Granudd <anna.granudd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> when subscribing a user or creating a list in Mailman 3.0 we need to
>> implement the use of a password for security reasons. Later the same
>> password will be used for logging in to the settings pages. At the
>> moment
>> passwords are not handled at all which is why I filed bug #600780 (see
>> [1]). However, we're not sure how to handle the passwords at the moment
>> and would like your help with ideas and possible ways to implement this,
>> which is why I want to start a discussion about the password handling/
>> login function. What do we need to think of and how should this best be
>> dealt with?
>
> Most importantly, passwords must be securely hashed, so that they
> can't be
> read by the site or list admins, or by third parties.
>
> That means that password resets must be offered to users, instead of
> password reminders.
>
> Also, for sites like mine, it would be nice to have more than one
> password
> store. For example, I'd like to have users with addresses in the
> sussex.ac.uk domain authenticated against my current LDAP db, but
> non-local
> users authenticate against some other db (perhaps a different branch
> of the
> LDAP tree, but perhaps something local).

Agreed, passwords must be securely hashed.  No one should be able to
reverse the hash to derive a password.  I toss would also like to have
multiple authentication stores whether via LDAP or intrinsic to default
Mailman.  Likewise, I would also like to have multiple membership
stores, obviously the default intrinsic Mailman member store, but also
LDAP, database, etc.  Optimally, if both multiple password/member stores
are combined, when a member authenticates, the member is looked up in
the appropriate password/member store for validity whether it be LDAP, a
database, or Mailman intrinsic.  Likewise, a posting to a list should
send a message to members listed in all password/member stores
associated with the list.

Thanks,
Chris