[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Feb 25 14:16:42 CET 2010

On 2010-02-24 7:44 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I think possibly a better approach might be to take the present MIME
> format digest and convert the 'contents' part to an HTML part

Sounds like you're talking about 'encapsulating' it to me... ;) sorry
couldn't resist...

> where clicking on a message subject would cause the MUA to open that
> message in a separate window/tab from where it can be viewed in it's
> full richness and replied to. I don't offhand know if such a thing
> can be done or if so, what MUAs might support it.

Hmmm... I actually really like this suggestion, especially if it might
be [much?] easier to implement. Worth exploring at least.

But, instead of clicking on the subject - which wouldn't be very
intuitive to me - I'd prefer just a single 'Open to Reply' link, which
would open the message as you described. Then, as you said, it would be
up to the MUA features to do the heavy lifting. This would be perfectly
acceptable to me, especially if it is an order of magnitude easier to
accomplish.

Too bad it isn't possible to keep the individual messages as attachments
and work with them that way...

Hmmm... another brain-dead suggestion... keep the messages fully intact
as attachments, but also convert/dump the plain-text content into the
Digest body for purposes of scrolling between messages and the message
summary at the top? Yes, it would increase the size of the digest - but
text is small, so maybe it wouldn't be all that bad?

Then the link would be either 'Open to Reply', or, if the original
message was other than text/plain, the link could change to 'Open to
Reply/View in Original Format'.

> I think this thread would be better off if you would concentrate on
> the features you want and let those who might implement them figure
> out how or if they can be provided.

Ok, I'll try... sorry for wasting all of you guys' time...

--

Charles