[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Feb 24 15:17:41 CET 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 01:24 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

>The point I'm getting at is, I'd like to see the basic framework for a
>new HTML digest added to MM. Barry said he is fine with it as long as it
>is done right, and Mark seems to concur.

Note that this "basic framework" may be something as simple as a plugin
architecture to allow third parties to easily integrate their own digest
formats into Mailman 3.  We as the core developers needn't develop - or more
importantly, maintain - it.

>How does MM generate the two digests it supports now? Does it store the
>individual messages in some temporary location until it is time to
>generate the digest, then do whatever it does to generate it? Or does it
>process each message as it comes in, and cumulatively add them until the
>trigger for sending the digest is pulled?

Mailman 3 stores each message in a little maildir for that mailing list.  When
the time comes to send a digest, a queue runner wakes up, reads the messages
from the maildir and composes both the MIME and RFC 1153 digests at the same
time.  There is an interface describing the API that digesters must adhere to,
but the current infrastructure does not allow for third party digesters.  That
would not be hard to add for anybody who's really interested in developing
such a beast (I'm not).

-Barry