[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Feb 20 17:12:34 CET 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 04:42 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

>Currently, the MIME digest is a plain text message, and I don't see any
>way to reply to an individual message, much less preserve the message
>subject I'm replying to - unless you mean I'm supposed to actually open
>the message I want to reply to in a separate window, then click Reply?

I've only ever seen this in one MUA, VM-in-Emacs.  That MUA had a very cool
feature that allowed you to "burst" MIME digests (and I think RFC 1153
digests).  You'd be presented with a "virtual" folder containing just the
messages in the digest.  This was really cool because you could save and reply
to individual messages just as if they arrived individually.  I'd love to have
this in more mail readers.

>> My personal feeling is that if things can be done in a way that works
>> reasonably in MUAs that don't support the features, then it might be
>> feasable, but if something works with one MUA and is a disaster in
>> another, it is better not done.
>
>I hope you aren't suggesting that Mailman should limit its features to
>the 'least common denominator'... I don't see anything wrong with
>*optionally* supporting advanced features of modern mail clients.

As I mentioned in my previous message, I'm totally fine with an HTML digest
that text-based MUA users can ignore.  But it should work reasonably well
across the field of HTML supporting MUAs, and shouldn't be disastrous on any
of them.  Or put it another way: if there are RFCs for this, follow them.  If
there aren't, act as if there were by writing something RFC like in the wiki
that we can at least point to as a best practices document that MUA authors
could follow.

-Barry