[Mailman-Developers] Reply-To munging considered *carefully*

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Oct 14 09:53:27 CEST 2009

Michael B. Trausch writes:

 > Permit me to rephrase so that you understand what I said:

I understand what you said.  You are not responding to what I said,
except emotionally.  Stripped of emotional language, the fact is that
there are use cases for Reply-To which Reply-To munging overrides.
The fact is that the RFCs have consistently, despite *decades* of
argument along the lines you proposed, reserved use of the Reply-To
field to the originator, who is clearly the author(s) or agent of
same.  (Otherwise Message-ID-munging would be similarly appropriate.)
The fact is that your proposal takes the right to use the Reply-To
field *or have the From field used /automatically/ as the destination
for personal replies* in all circumstances, a right clearly delegated
to the originator by the RFCs, away in *some* circumstances, for the
convenience of third parties.

Please respond to those facts rather than assuming I don't understand
what you're talking about.