[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 and LMTP

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sun Nov 29 19:39:47 CET 2009

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dhcp3/+bug/340383>

> >>consulting /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts, and I had to change
> >>both /etc/hosts
> >
> >That's because LaMont Jones delivers the Debian/Ubuntu Postfix package
> >chrooted. If Postfix runs chrooted it uses /var/spool/postfix/etc/ hosts
> >instead of /etc/hosts.
>
> Ah, the pieces click together.  Thanks!

BTW: Postfix notes that /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts differ on
reload (at least on Debian/Ubuntu) and it sends a simliar note to syslog.

I know experience tells us not to look at logs because logging and writing
documentation is something you only get when you pay for it... ;) However with
Postfix it pays to read the log. Wietse did a good job on this.

> >>After a restart, everything suddenly worked exactly as expected.
> >
> >suddenly... :)
>
> Yeah.  Doesn't everybody call 6 hours on a Saturday "suddenly"? :)

:)

> >>Robert was having a different problem, but hopefully he will follow up
> >>here with his experience and let us know if any of the above helps.  If
> >>any Postfix experts have words of wisdom to make this better, please let
> >>me know.
> >
> >If MM relies on Postfix defaults and the postmaster changes them in Postfix
> >the MM part might end up being unusable.
> >
> >I recommend to take full control of the settings in the Postfix transport
> >map.  Let MM create its own Postfix style transport map. Set the "Postfix
> >service name" (in your example its mailman3), put the hostname in square
> >brackets and set the port.
>
> Yep, I like setting the service name to mailman3.  I'll note that
> Ubuntu's Postfix-Dovecot package already has a service for mailman
> (i.e. 2.x) which uses postfix-to-mailman.py.

If we came up with a reasonable set of default settings for the mailman3
service I take these to the Postfix developer list and try to have them added
to the Postfix default master.cf file.

> >>I probably need to work on better dropping of privileges for qrunners so
> >>that you can 'bin/mailman start' as root, and once the LMTP runner binds
> >>to port 24, it can drop privs to 'mailman'.  I'll put that on the list for
> >>something to do after the next alpha.
> >
> >I like that idea.
> >

> >>I'd also like to try to resurrect William Mead's LMTP branch.  Sadly, it
> >>won't merge cleanly into trunk any more (not the least of which because
> >>it's in the wrong bzr format).  If anybody would like to contribute that
> >>before I get to it, I'd be grateful.
> >>
> >>The good news is that I think Mailman 3 is getting more real every day.
> >>My plan over the next few weeks is:
> >>
> >>* release alpha 4
> >>* get i18n translations working
> >>* complete the split of the pipermail project
> >>* hopefully get Patrick and friends going on the web u/i
> >
> >I will update to the latest branch that should fix the language file
> >problem we had discovered and then we will work on the REST client/server.
>
> Excellent!  I forgot that one other thing must happen before 3.0 can
> be released; we need a migration script from 2.1.x to 3.0.

May I complement the list?

- logo contest
- send the web interface off to a usability lab

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666